Do You Need a Multivitamin?
Every day, your body replaces its cells, pumping oxygen-rich blood through veins, and communicates with signals throughout the nervous system. You do your best to keep yourself nourished with healthy food and exercise, but should you also take a multivitamin?
Vitamins are essential nutrients that the body can’t produce enough of on its own. They help strengthen bones, repair cell damage, and shore up your immune system against invaders. These micronutrients (named as such because your body only needs small doses of them) are vital not only to promoting and maintaining healthy growth but also for preventing certain diseases. A study from the National Institute of Health shows that over half of Americans take some kind of dietary supplement, usually a multivitamin, every day.
Best Supplements for Women
There are specific vitamins and minerals that women especially need. The best vitamins for women vary depending on your age, hormonal changes, and diet. Some supplements that are especially important for women’s health include:
- Vitamin B12 helps your body make red blood cells and aids your neurons’ functioning in the brain and nervous system. Women who are pregnant, vegetarian, or over 50 particularly need to monitor their B12 consumption.
- Vitamin D builds strong bones, fighting off osteoporosis, which mainly affects older women. Vitamin D also reduces inflammation and boosts your immune system.
- Calcium is stored in the bones, making them stronger, alongside vitamin D. Older women, in particular, need around 1200 mg of calcium every day to slow age-related bone density loss.
- Folic Acid/Folate helps your body make blood cells. It is especially important for women who are pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant at some point.
- Iron is essential, especially when menstruating and overall, to prevent anemia.
The Top 10 Best Multivitamins for Women
Whether you’re looking for organic vitamins, a multivitamin with iron, the best multivitamin for women over 50, or something else, there’s a women’s multivitamin that suits your needs. Here’s a list of some of the most highly rated multivitamins:
- Garden of Life MyKind Organics Women’s Multivitamin: This certified organic multivitamin is vegan, gluten-free, and non-GMO, making it a reliable way to get your necessary nutrients. This once-a-day pill contains a broad spectrum of micronutrients, including iron and a full 200% DV of Vitamin B12.
- New Chapter Every Woman’s One Daily Multi: This multivitamin was ranked overall the best women’s multivitamin 2019. New Chapter also makes a men’s option, which was considered the best men’s multivitamin 2019. Made with turmeric, ginger, and maca, what sets New Chapter apart is that it’s fermented. Fermented vitamins are gentler on an empty stomach than isolated vitamins. Fermentation makes nutrients more easily recognized by the stomach as food so that they can be digested without stomach discomfort.
- Nature Made Multi For Her: At just $0.16 per tablet, Nature Made offers the best women multivitamin on a budget. This 90 day supply provides high percentages of daily values for every nutrient it contains, including 100% of your iron needs and 250% of your folate requirements.
- Vitanica Senior Symmetry: Women over 50 have changing nutritional needs. For instance, women over 50 need higher percentages of both calcium and vitamin D3 to protect bones from fractures, weakness, or osteoporosis. At the same time, lower iron intake is recommended for older women. Vitanica Senior Symmetry was formulated with the specific needs of 50+ women in mind. In addition to its signature bone health blend, it also offers CoQ10 to boost memory. Vitanica is made with plant-based digestive enzymes for easier absorption.
- Smarty Pants PhD Women’s Formula: This multivitamin for women is recommended for anyone with allergies that make finding supplements difficult. These omega 3-rich capsules are made without products derived from common allergens like milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat, peanuts, or tree nuts. They’re also gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free, and soy-free.
- Ritual Essential for Women 18+: This subscription-based multivitamin is making waves as perhaps the new best multivitamin for women, and they have a different approach to providing necessary micronutrients. Each Ritual capsule contains only what they’ve deemed to be the nine most essential nutrients and the ones that are the hardest to absorb from food: folate, omega 3-DHA, vitamin B12, vitamin D3, iron, vitamin K2, boron, vitamin E, and magnesium. This less-is-more attitude is meant to supplement a balanced diet that already gets enough calcium and Vitamin C.
- Nature’s Bounty Optimal Solutions Women’s Multivitamin Gummies: These gummy vitamins are not only easy to take, but they also contain 50 mg of collagen. Collagen is the body’s most abundant natural protein, binding together connective tissues and improving joint, bone, heart, and skin health.
- Nature’s Way Alive! Whole Food Energizer: These all-natural vitamin tablets are formulated without iron, but with 25 other vitamins and minerals, including a signature microalgae blend and 12 organically grown mushrooms. This blend increases energy and derives its nutrients from a variety of whole food sources, making it more easily absorbed by the body.
- Suku Vitamins The Complete Women’s Multi: With a unique peach and pineapple flavor, Suku Vitamins are gummy vitamins packed with nutrients and prebiotic soluble fiber. In addition to all the standard nutrients, Suku also contains CoQ10, vitamin K2, and biotin, which is proven to promote hair growth.
- One A Day Multivitamin For Women: This classic formula has been popular for years, offering all 8 B Vitamins that help your body convert food into energy. Free of artificial flavors and sweeteners, One A Day also provides a 50+ Women’s formula, as well as a gummy vitamin option.
Vitamins and minerals are essential to keeping your body healthy. When looking for the best women’s multivitamin, remember that vitamins are meant to supplement, and not replace, eating a balanced diet. Different ages, hormonal stages, and diets might require different supplement blends. Selecting the right multivitamin can help ensure that you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs on a daily basis.